Facilities and features
We have two toilets in the link to the church room, one accessible with baby change.
The accessible toilet in the link has a baby changing facility
Accessible toilet in the link to the church room
Level entrance via the link to the main church, link toilets and and church hall.
Both the main church and church hall have hearing loops.
Large print Bibles are available on request
Assistance dogs are welcome in our church and church hall.
St Mary's church is a listed building, Grade II* dating from the 14C .
Music and Worship
We have a very active team of bellringers who ring for the main services, weddings and special occasions. The bells comprise a ring of six bells which were refurbished and tuned in 1992. In St Mary’s belfry hangs what is thought to be the oldest bell within the district. Cast before the Reformation, it bears the Latin inscription which translated means “His name is John”. A second bell is engraved “William Hatch made me in 1656
St Mary's church is a popular venue for music concerts, organ recitals, choirs and musicians.
St Mary's enjoys the full sound of the traditional pipe organ at services and concerts.
Groups, Courses and Activities
Thursdays between 10.00 am and 12.00 am, we enjoy a pop in coffee morning in the comfortable "Cloisters" church rooms, serving hot drinks, home made cakes and good company. A competitive weekly table quiz, (no cheating please). Note: During the summer months, the first Thursday in the month is Farmers Market in Stansted Village Hall, so no POP IN.
Help for Visitors
We have a lap top and tablet which you can use at the Pop In coffee morning. We have a few "experts" to help you if needed.
A leaflet summarising the history of the church at Stansted from Saxon times until today is available on request.
A Power Point Presentation is avaiable which goes into greater detail of the history of the church at Stansted with slides showing the main features of the church building dating to the original build in the 14c, and the complete refurbishment in 1883 when the windows were replaced and the vestry added.
The church is open on Thursday mornings for the Pop In coffee mornings and every Sunday for regular services.
The main church has an audio system to enhance the spoken word and a hearing assistance loop.
A camera and sound link transmit sound and vision to the connected church room, a useful feature for parents with children and overspill for large numbers at services.
The church is surrounded by a number of listed buildings including the Old Rectory, Church Cottage which dates from the 14c
The Cloisters freestanding extension to the church can seat sixty persons and is equipped with an audio visual projection system and kitchenette.
The Cloisters is available for hire at reasonable rates on a daily or hourly basis
For further details please contact Moira :
email. [email protected]