Christenings (Baptisms) and Weddings

Christenings and Weddings

Christenings (Baptisms- two words mean the same thing)

One of life's great events is choosing to become a Christian. This is what Baptism is. Whether your enquiry is for yourself or for your child, please come along to the Parish Mass on Sunday Morning and speak with the Vicar or Church Wardens.

We welcome enquiries for Christenings from those who live in Carlinghow and those who worship here regularly. Those who live further away and don't worship here are asked to contact their local Church of England parish first (use the postcode checker on the ACNY website).


If you are newly engaged, or even if you've been engaged for some time, but have been putting the wedding off, CONGRATULATIONS!!! There are a lot of things to think about when planning a wedding and it can all seem daunting. The great joy is that you're not on your own. Central to the day is the actually wedding itself. As a Church of England Parish Church, we are able to conduct weddings.

In 2008 the legislation which allowed couples to marry changed. To be married at St John's Carlinghow, a couple must be able to answer 'yes' to at least ONE of the following:

one of you been baptised or prepared for confirmation in the parish?
one of you has ever lived in the parish for six months or more?
one of you at any time regularly attended public worship in the parish for six months or more?
one of your parents lived in the parish for six months or more in your lifetime?
one of your parents regularly attended public worship there for six months or more in your lifetime?
one of your parents or grandparents been married in the parish?

​We don't marry those who are divorced, but we may be able to offer a service of blessing following a civil marriage (in a registry office). Please contact the vicar and we will offer advice and help you plan your wedding.

Banns of Marriage

For those getting married in a Church of England Church, it is normal for the preliminaries of marriage (that give permission for the wedding to happen) to be done through the calling of Banns. In the period shortly before the Marriage, the priest will call out the names of those wishing to be married and ask if anyone knows a reason for the marriage not to happen. If you live in the Carlinghow parish and you need your Banns calling, we will happily do that. Please contact the vicar who will arrange for your Banns to be read.