Gt Bradley, St Mary the Virgin
Welcome to St Mary the Virgin, Great Bradley.
St Mary’s is a Grade II* listed Church set in a pretty churchyard by the River Stour and the Stour Valley Path. It is also adjacent to the site of the original Saxon settlement in Great Bradley and the medieval moated system which then contained the Hall.
It has many interesting and historical features, including two fine Norman doorways and a striking Tudor brick porch, reputedly built by Henry VIII’s brickmaker, probably around 1520. The Church has three bells housed in the Tower of which the oldest is a tenor made in around 1310, making it one of the oldest bells in Suffolk! One of the other two bells also dates from before the Reformation (around 1300) and the other is dated 1576. They are still used regularly at services and on special occasions. For more information on the history of the Church, please see the About Us tab.
The Church is open to visitors at all times.
Church Registers date back to 1701, which is of significant interest to many people who wish to trace ancestors and visit graves. For more information, please see the Church Archive tab.
For the latest Stourhead newsletter click here http://stourheadbenefice.org/wordpress/stourhead-benefice-newsletter/
There is more information about the church on the village website at http://www.greatbradley.org.uk
The parish of Great Bradley, St Mary the Virgin is committed to the safeguarding of children, young people and adults. For more details of our safeguarding policy, please see the "Safeguarding" tab.