We were unable to provide opening hours. Please contact the Church for more information
ST. EVAL CHURCH is dedicated to St. Uvelus
This 13th Century church stands proudly and quite alone visible for miles around, surrounded by the disused runways of RAF St. Eval, an important coastal command airfield during the 1939 - 1945 war. The splendid tower, 60ft tall, was built (by Bristol merchants whose seamen used it as a navigation mark) during the summer of 1727, to replace an earlier tower that fell into disrepair in the mid 1600's. The church was enlarged in the mid 16th Century and there are the remains of a medieval screen and an elaborately carved part of the Rood Screen base. The pulpit is restored and the date 1638 together with the name of the Minister and Church Wardens can be seen on the base stringers.The Font is very plain and is of Norman times as is one remaining window in the north wall. There are twenty-three carved bench-ends dating from the mid 16th Century and at the back are three original pews. In 1989, a memorial was dedicated for RAF St Eval, which includes a memorial window and Book of Remembrance. It is very interesting church in an unlikely situation.
Visit our website for more information: www.lannpydar.org.uk
If you'd prefer to navigate using Google Maps please use the button below