The bell tower and its ringers are affiliated to the Oxford Diocesan Guild of Church Bellringers and are part of the Bicester Branch with a Facebook group for ringers to keep in touch about events and social occasions.
History and Specifications of the Bells
The oldest bell in the St Nicholas tower, the Sanctus, dates from 1652. The tenor and five others date from 1859, and the ring of eight was completed in 1956 by the addition of the Treble and second bell.The details of the bells follow:
Treble 2 cwt, 3 qtrs, 21 lbs Mears & Stainbank (1952)
Second 3 cwt, 0 qtrs, 12 lbs Mears & Stainbank (1952)
Third 4 cwt, 0 qtrs, 11 lbs G. Mears (1859)
Fourth 4 cwt, 2 qtrs, 17 lbs G. Mears (1859)
Fifth 5 cwt, 1 qtr, 26 lbs G. Mears (1859)
Sixth 5 cwt, 2 qtrs, 10 lbs G. Mears (1859)
Seventh 6 cwt, 2 qtrs, 13 lbs G. Mears (1859)
Eighth 8 cwt, 1 qtr, 7 lbs G. Mears (1859)
The bells were re-fitted and re-hung by Whites of Appleton in 1908. They hang in a wrought-iron 'double bar' frame installed in 1908. They were again repaired and re-hung in 1992/93.