About UsWhereas official records date back to 1087, the site of the Church of St Helen (the mother of the Roman Emperor Constantine and a favourite saint of King Ethelbald who ruled the area after he had annexed this area of Wessex into his kingdom of Mercia in about 800AD) has probably been sacred since the 8th century.
One of the oldest features of the Church is the decorated Saxon font but the whole building is of great interest. Around 1615 the original roof was replaced with one of a queen-post type with a complex timber truss. This resulted in the present vaulted roof of great functional beauty. The wooden gallery at the west end of the nave was built in 1676 and a dormer widow at each end provides light at this height.
The Church itself is only about 65 feet long including the bell tower. For those who search there are many small corners of interest including some randomly repositioned mediaeval floor tiles at the east end of the nave and chancel, sculptures of fishes and doves (associated with the position of the font) and the 13th century "bee" window.