St Paul's was designed by J M Teale of Doncaster and E B Denison, later Lord Grimthorpe. It is a cruciform building in the Geometrical Gothic style with a three bay chancel with aisles, a five bay nave with aisles, north and south transepts and a square central tower that houses a ring of ten bells. It has a family likeness, through Denison's friendship with Gilbert Scott, to Doncaster Parish Church, the ground plan and the tracery of the large windows being almost identical, though on a slightly smaller scale.
Between 1889 and 1901 the chancel and south transept were enriched by George Frederick Bodley who did much work in the area (notably Holy Angels Hoar Cross and St Chad's Burton). He adapted the south chancel aisle for use as a chapel, added a sacristy on the north side, and an internal porch at the south transept door. The chancel and sanctuary roof were painted to Bodley's design, and a canopy was added above the original large circular stone pulpit. The organ cases, one in the chancel and one high in the south transept, are both by Bodley. The chancel floor was relaid with red and white marble. The original reredos (now in St Christopher's, Ellistown) was replaced by one designed by Robert Bridgeman that depicts the Crucifixion in a central panel of red shawk stone surrounded by the saints.
A western narthex was added in 1910 as a memorial to Baron Burton, who had died the previous year. A calvary war memorial was erected in the churchyard in 1920 and a bishop's chair of stone was built into the sanctuary wall in 1931. The two west bays of the nave and the narthex were converted into a church hall in 1979 and at the same time several items were added from the former chapel of ease of St Margaret, including a wooden lectern by Morris and Co, a painting of the Crucifixion which was placed by the south door, and statues of Alpha and Omega which were added to the south chancel aisle chapel.
The church is a wonderful example of Victorian ecclesiastical art and architecture, and an ideal setting for richly ordered worship.