Seathwaite Church lies in the hamlet of Seathwaite, next to the river called Tarn Beck, and is worth a visit for its tranquility and wonderful setting.
The original chapel was built in the first half of the 16th Century but in 1870 the old chapel was deemed to be too dilapidated to restore. The church was rebuilt in its present form and reconsecrated in May 1875.
The church is famous through its association with The Revd Robert Walker, incumbent from 1736 until his death at the age of 92 in 1802. He was admired and respected by his descendants and all who knew him. He is known as "Wonderful Walker" because of William Wordsworth's reference to him in his poem "The Excusrsion" and sonnet "The River Duddon".
The stone with the sundial inset at the entrance to the church is reputed to be the one used by the Revd Robert Walker when clipping sheep at Gatescale. The age of the sundial is unknown.
Our church is part of the Parish of Broughton & Duddon. Our priest in charge, Revd Stephen Tudway, is also the priest in charge of the nearby Parish of Kirkby Ireleth, and Interim Minister of the Methodist Churches in Broughton-in-Furness and Kirkby-in-Furness.