Church of England Diocese of Chichester Tillington

About Us

You are welcome to join us for any of our services. The church is also open for private prayer during the day.

This church is linked with Holy Trinity, Duncton and St Mary the Virgin.

Tillington is a village and civil parish in the District of Chichester in West Sussex, England located one mile west of Petworth on the A272. The parish includes the hamlets of Upperton, River, and River Common.

The land area is 1416.3 Hectares (3498.3 acres). Approximately 500 people live in 227 households in the parish (2001 census). Upperton and Tillington are designated Conservation Areas. There are many old dwellings, including medieval timber framed houses, with one third of the buildings in the parish being grade II listed.[1] Pitshill is a Georgian mansion standing at the head of a valley between Upperton and River. All Hallows Church with its unusual Scots crown tower is a landmark when approaching from Petworth, and is floodlit at night.It was painted by  John Constable. The church, first recorded in 1100 A.D. was mostly rebuilt and enlarged between 1807 and 1837, but retains Romanesque sculpture and a plain eight-sided twelfth century stone font. Opposite the church is the historic Horse Guards Inn, thought to get its name from the cavalry who stayed there overnight while escorting gold bullion from London to the Navy at Portsmouth