Our beautiful church is a popular venue for weddings. We not only love to facilitate people seeking God's blessing on their marriage but also preparing each couple to make a lifetime's commitment to each other.
A wedding is a great celebration.
In the parishes of Tillington, Duncton & Upwaltham we love helping people start their married life together.
We pray that your marriage will help you realise the full extent of God’s love for you as you promise to love each other ‘for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness, in health, to love and to cherish, till death us do part’.
If you are interested in having your ceremony in any of our parishes there are some important steps in the process for you to be aware of:
1. In any Church of England parish, you are required to have a qualifying connection which allows you to be legally married in that church. You may have several connections, but only one is required.
The qualifying connections are:
· one of you lives in the parish or has lived in the parish for at least 6 months.
· one of your parents, after you were born lived in the parish for at least 6 months.
· one of your parents has regularly attended our church services for at least 6 months.
· one of you was christened (baptised) or prepared for confirmation in the parish.
· your parents or grandparents were married in the church.
· one of you is on the church’s electoral role.
If none of these qualifying connections apply your qualifying connection will be attending normal church services in the parish where you intend to be married. This is for a period of at least 6 months. Otherwise you will need to be granted a special licence.
2. Banns are read in both the parish where your ceremony will be held together with the parish church where you are each living.
Banns are read on three separate occasions within three months of your wedding. It is expected that you will attend the Sunday service to hear your banns read on at least two occasions.
3. We run marriage preparation. This takes place on a Sunday afternoon beginning with lunch and includes other couples who are preparing to get married in the parish. It is an enjoyable afternoon to allow you to share aspects of your relationship with each other.
An essential part of getting married is to set aside quality time to explore and deepen your understanding of each other.
Our marriage preparation is an afternoon for couples, usually followed by an individual session with just the two of you.
Feedback has been very positive.
‘We wanted to say a big thank you for yesterday’s session. We both really enjoyed it, found it helpful and informative but also really fun. It was great to meet other local couples and hear their story. The lunch was delicious and overall we felt it was great experience to do’. Hannah & Jason
‘Two are Better Than One’
The afternoon is suitable for those of you preparing to be married as well as newlyweds.
Privacy is respected, and there is no requirement to disclose anything about your relationship you do not wish to.
The topics we cover include:
Keeping love alive
The afternoon will be relaxed and interactive. The focus is giving you time to explore your relationship.
We look forward to welcoming you. Get in touch and we can meet up to discuss your service in more detail.