Belmont is an area of mixed housing on the southern outskirts of the London Borough of Sutton, centred on a village-like parade of shops, with a station and the church at either end. St John's is a Local Ecumenical Partnership. The building began as the Church of England parish church in 1915, completed in 1966; the nearby Methodist congregation moved in to share the building in the 1980's, and the worship and administration of the church have been joint since the mid-1990's. The church provides a wide range of social, study, and other activities, and seeks to provide a focus for the whole local community as well as for regular worshippers. To this end a community hall was built next to the church in 2002, and hosts a variety of activities for all ages.