About the church

Built: 1914/1970
Architect: Greenaway & Newberry
Not listed

The building is of two major phases of construction and dates from 1914 with a later extension constructed at the west end of the building which dates from the 1970s.

The church building comprises nave, chancel and sanctuary, north and south aisles and a suite of vestries to the north east which also includes access up to a proposed tower at the north east corner which was never constructed. At the west end of the building, accommodation has been inserted very successfully to provide a gallery with offices and meeting rooms, kitchens and toilets beyond.

Belmont is an area of mixed housing on the southern outskirts of the London Borough of Sutton, centred on a village-like parade of shops, with a station and the church at either end. St John's is a Local Ecumenical Partnership. The building began as the Church of England parish church in 1915, completed in 1966; the nearby Methodist congregation moved in to share the building in the 1980's, and the worship and administration of the church have been joint since the mid-1990's. The church provides a wide range of social, study, and other activities, and seeks to provide a focus for the whole local community as well as for regular worshippers. To this end a community hall was built next to the church in 2002, and hosts a variety of activities for all ages.