St John's has been the parish church of Ingrow and Hainworth since 1843. Over the years, additions and alterations to the building and grounds have helped to keep it a welcoming place of worship, prayer, service and memory for successive generations.
2019 saw a great refreshing of the grounds with brambles cut back, spaces around memorial stones strimmed, and work done to reduce the size of some trees and shrubs which had become overgrown or unhealthy. The churchyard is steadily becoming a place that is once more well cared for and light-filled so that users of the sight can visit for prayer and reflection, as well as to attend services and events in the church.
This year work has begun to refurbish the west end of the inside of the church building. Works include the installation of a new ground floor kitchen, a new and more efficient heating system, the addition of toilet facilities on the first floor to enable that space to be brought back into use, and the formation of wood and glazed panelling to create a screened off area that can be used for smaller meetings and community groups. Later in the year, we hope to re-lay the external path to the main door to provide unimpeded, level access to the church building.
Do get in touch if you have ideas for potential community use of the new space or wish to comment on the plans