About the churchBuilt: 1889 - 1939
Architect: William Bucknall & Sir Ninian Comper
Listing: grade 2
The church was started in 1889 and carried forward in stages until completion in 1925. In 1939 the narthex and porch were added to the liturgical west end. It consists of the traditional nave, aisles, chancel and single north transept. Vestries, boiler room and stores are situated in the crypt beneath the east end of the church. Pitched roofs are carried on rafters, purlins and trusses bearing on solid thick brick walls with stone dressings and buttresses. The 1939 addition at the west end is covered in a flat roof.