Holy Trinity Church sits at the centre of Dilton Marsh in the High Street, where The Hollow meets St Mary’s Lane.
Disabled access, servery and toilet facilities all on site.
When you arrive at Holy Trinity Church, Dilton Marsh you enter through the recently added glass doors you are met by a very warm, welcoming and friendly church of people.
Holy Trinity hold a variety of services to suit a variety of tastes and expectations.
It is an active church with many regular social events throughout the year as well as involvement with other village organisations and projects.
Monthly news is published in the Holy Trinity Church parish magazine. This is available by subscription or in church. To be added to the subscription list please contact us, by private message, via our Facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/Holy-Trinity-Church-Dilton-Marsh-130830347693499/
• Praise and Worship is a relaxed, non-communion service. Using a screen to display the words and songs. Sometimes involves some acting (this is pre-organised, for the congregation to watch - no one will spring anything on you!), or meditation, and visual aids. Everyone welcome
• Holy Communion – Known also as ‘The Eucharist’, ‘The Lord’s Supper’ or ‘Mass’ is a service of readings and prayers that lead up to a symbolic sharing of bread and wine in remembrance of Jesus’ Last Supper. In addition, Holy Communion from Common Worship includes hymns and some sung responses.
• Café Church - An informal, family friendly service with coffee, tea, croissants, toast etc. Usually non-Eucharistic. Buffet breakfast is available before the service.
For seasonal changes please see the Home page, Facebook pages or Holy Trinity Church monthly magazine.
The population of Dilton Marsh, in 1842, was around 2,000. The then vicar of Westbury wrote to the Bishop of Salisbury to propose that a new church be built at Dilton Marsh to provide for the larger population.
Following the Bishop’s approval, a committee was formed to raise the necessary funds and locate a parcel of land suitable for said church.
The Committee appointed Mr Thomas Henry Wyatt, the London architect of the Diocesan Church Building Society and also the Italianate church in Wilton, near Salisbury, to design a new church to accommodate 600 people and obtain estimates for its completion. He reported that the church would cost around £2,400, but altogether with the site costs, endowment, repair fund, schoolroom residence and parsonage house, the total would be £4,600.
The funds proved easier to raise than the land did to find, with no landowner willing to sell.
Finally, approximately 4 acres of land, on the corner of what was then known as Bath Road and “a lane”, was finally purchased from Captain Porter for £420.
Mrs T. H. H. Phipps laid the foundation stone on 5th July 1843.
The Bishop of Salisbury, Edward Denison, consecrated the new church on 30th September 1844 when 50 clergy were present.
The first vicar of Dilton Marsh, Revd N.G. Lawson led the service, and the Bishop celebrated Holy Communion and preached the sermon.
Architecture & Fabric
The church, of Romanesque style, is built of ashlar (masonry made of large square-cut stones) in the Norman style, and comprises an apsidal chancel (semi-circular recess covered with a hemispherical vaulted ceiling) nave, gallery, north and south transepts and vestry. In 1958 the north transept was converted into a Lady Chapel in memory of Revd Leonard West, vicar from 1915 – 1933.
The domed nave has a 5-bay tie-beam truss roof on stone corbels.
Behind the altar paintings of the Twelve Apostles are to be found set in trefoiled topped niches.
There are a number of beautiful stained-glass windows, many of which are memorials.
Among those commemorated are Sister Elizabeth of St Mary’s Home (1873); Charles Paul & Emma Mary Phipps of Chalcot House (1885); Rt Rev Walter Ken-Hamilton D D, 66th Bishop of Salisbury (window dedicated by the vicar, church wardens and parishioners)
The heating was modernised after 2001, with the aid of various grants received.
In 2014 the path to the front door was re-laid to meet modern demands of easy access for the disabled.
Around 2015/16 a servery and toilet were added, also easily accessible.
In 2017 a glass porch with specially design engraved doors were added to give a welcoming entrance.
The tower contains 2 bells and a clock by Vulliamy. The clock was completely overhauled in 2003 and electrical wiring was installed.
The organ was built in 1873 by Robert Allen of Bristol and is considered to be one of the finest in Wiltshire. It comprises of 19 speaking stops and 5 couplers with 2 manuals. Robert Haskins, also of Bristol, rebuilt the organ in 1930 and an electric blower was added in 1947.
The church plate, hallmarked 1844, was provided by selling some of the plate from Westbury church.
The former village church, St Mary’s of Old Dilton, is just a mile away from Holy Trinity. It is an architectural gem dating back to the 15th Century. It is used annually for a candle-lit carol service. There being no electricity or heating in the building!
A more detailed history of the church is available, from Holy Trinity church, for a nominal fee of 50p.