We were unable to provide opening hours. Please contact the Church for more information
The church serves the village of Dilton Marsh and is a growing and vibrant community of faith that enjoys worshipping and fellowship together.
Holy Trinity Church sits at the centre of Dilton Marsh, where the Hollow meets St. Mary’s Lane in crossroads with the High Street.
The church is a very fine building, designed by Thomas Wyatt, and built in 1844 in the Romanesque style. This architectural style is a classical balance of straight lines and curves that flourished a thousand years ago and persisted for a couple of centuries as the dominant form of grand design in Europe. As such, Holy Trinity Church looks quite different from the traditional English village church. Its broad square tower, high curved archways and semicircular apse (east, or altar, end) are more common features of French or Italian rural churches.
The church is adorned with some beautiful stained glass windows many dedicated to members of the Phipps family of Chalcot House (buried in the churchyard to the south of the church). The gallery at the back of the church stands over an area currently being reordered to install a lavatory and a new kitchen. It is hoped that this work will be completed by Christmas 2015. The north transept contains the Lady Chapel used for smaller services. The south transept houses the organ. The tower room above the crossing contains an 1847 striking clock by Benjamin Vulliamy with two bells. The chancel is divided from the rest of the church by a waist high stone wall surrounding the choir stalls, vicar and curate’s desks and square stone pulpit. At the head of the chancel is the semicircular sanctuary with a carved stone crucifixion scene behind the altar flanked with 12 painted niches representing the apostles. In 2015 the path leading to the front door was re-laid to enable easy access for those in wheelchairs.
If you'd prefer to navigate using Google Maps please use the button below