How do I arrange a Wedding service at St. Andrew’s Church, Epworth?
Thank you for approaching us to arrange your Wedding service here in the Parish Church of St. Andrew’s, Epworth. You may be marrying for the first time or marrying again, in each case we are delighted that you wish to arrange a Wedding here with us.
We want to make your wedding personal and memorable for you. St. Andrew’s is a special place and there are some things about a church wedding that you just can’t get anywhere else.
• A church wedding will add a spiritual dimension to your marriage. The ceremony includes God and looks to him for help and guidance. God’s blessing is the main attraction for many couples, whatever their beliefs.
• You can make amazing vows, or promises, in church. You can only make vows this big in a church. These vows, made in public, will help you to stay together and grow together. God and your church are there for you to help you keep your vows.
• The Rector has a very particular role to play in your wedding. He can blend ancient tradition and modern experience to reflect your story. Because of the relationship with the Rector, your wedding can be made personal, memorable, meaningful and beautiful.
• St. Andrew’s Church building offers centuries of history. Imagine all the couples who have married in St. Andrew’s, some of whom may well be your family. You can feel you’re becoming part of history itself, the bigger plan, by marrying in the same place as your relatives. We know these sorts of connections can make your day even more special.
• You can be involved in making choices about your ceremony. You can even use the Church of England’s online ceremony planner to get you started.
• For some people, a church simply seems like the proper place to get married. Churches can be described as 'peaceful', 'serene', or having an atmosphere that makes marrying there a particularly special experience.
The next step
Please contact the Rector, Revd Paul Wilson (Tel: 01427 872528 email: [email protected]) who will arrange to meet with you to discuss details and available dates.
It isn’t possible to arrange a Wedding over the telephone, by e-mail, text or Facebook, so please do contact the Rector to make the necessary arrangements, where he will try to put you at your ease and make the whole process as enjoyable as possible.
In order to have a Wedding service at St. Andrew’s Church you would need to live in the parish of St. Andrew, Epworth (you can check whether you live within the Parish by going to http://www.achurchnearyou.com/) or have some strong qualifying connection with the church, i.e.
The “qualifying connections” as laid down by the Church of England are as follows:
1. Either one or both of the people concerned:
• was baptised in the parish; or
• has been confirmed and the confirmation has been entered in a church register book belonging to the parish. (This would have been done on the basis that the person concerned was prepared for confirmation in the parish); or
• has at any time had his or her usual place of residence in the parish for at least 6 months; or
• has at any time habitually attended public worship in the parish for at least 6 months;
2. That person’s parent has at any time during the person’s lifetime:
• had his or her usual place of residence in the parish for at least 6 months; or
• habitually attended public worship in the parish for at least 6 months;
3. That person’s parent or grandparent was married in the parish.
(In this list references to being baptised, confirmed or married, or attending public worship, all refer to Church of England services.)
These are the requirements of the Church of England. If there is no strong connection with St. Andrew’s Church, then you will need to contact your own parish church.
What if I’ve been married before?
If either or both of you have been married previously, then you will need to have an additional meeting with the Rector before a decision can be made, to ensure that a church wedding would be appropriate. At this meeting you will need to bring your Decree Absolute(s) to confirm that you are no longer married. Please be assured that this will be a conversation and not an interrogation!
The usual pattern of services at St. Andrew’s are:
1st Sunday 9:30 am Morning Prayer (with hymns)
2nd, 3rd & 4th Sundays 9:30 am Holy Communion (with hymns)
Thursdays 10:00 am Holy Communion (said)
(Occasionally, there may be other services at St. Andrew’s or shared services at other churches in the area)
If you have any further questions or queries please contact the Rector of the Benefice of the Epworth Group of Churches;
The Revd. Paul D. Wilson.
Tel: 01427 872528.
e-mail: [email protected]