We are part of the Church of England, and are situated in the Manchester Diocese. Emmanuel parish has been around for over an hundred years, originally being an offshoot of Christ Church Chadderton, with the St George Building being around since 1957 to provide a place for members of the community on the southern end of the parish.
In 2003, the difficult decision was taken to close the traditional parish church building of Emmanuel, and to focus our activities at St George and we were greatly helped by the diocese to transform St George from a well worn, but tired 50s style building into a more modern interior ready to meet the demands of the 300 or so people walking through our doors each week.
We now welcome a variety of different groups into the building from the very young, to people at the other end of the age spectrum as well as a fair few people who find themselves in the middle of those demographics. We are very grateful that the building has such a high profile, helped enormously by the cross which can be seen by traffic of all sorts travelling in and out of Manchester.
Our focus remains the proclamation of the Good News of Jesus Christ, and as such we seek to provide services and resources that enable people of all backgrounds to have the opportunity to either begin, or to continue their journey of faith with Christ as their companion and goal.