Church of England Diocese of Winchester Barton Stacey and Bullington

8. History

All Saints Church at Barton Stacey stands on one of the oldest sites of continuous Christian worship in England. For over 1,000 years this parish church has been at the centre of the community. 

(find out more about the cover image - via the Barton Stacey History society)


Key Dates

1066: Mentioned in Domesday Book at a value of 15 shillings

Late 12th Century: Rebuilt in Norman transitional style

1086: Advowson granted by William the Conqueror to the de Piste family

1136: Advowson transferred to Abbey of Lanthony – originally in Wales, but then moved to Gloucester

Mid 13th Century: Major rebuilding in early English (Gothic) style

c. 1510: Additional building of fine turreted and embattled tower

1541: Advowson granted by Henry VIII to the Dean and Chapter of Winchester – who are still the present patrons

1635: The church is noted as being in a “ruinous state”

1792: Church shelters villagers made homeless by a fire which swept the village

1848: Foundations reseated and seating replaced

1877: Pine arch roof added to the chancel and open wooden porch replaced

1894: Chancel pillars reset, transept wooden floors replaced

1902: Present pulpit and lectern installed

1918: Carved wooden memorial erected to parishioners who died in World War One

1971: Replaced brick floor with tiles and repaired the vestry in the North transept

1989: Major restoration of stone and flint work

2000: Major refurbishment of church facilities and fittings

2016-17: External gates replaced, honouring HM The Queen, and victims of the Barton Stacey fire of 1792.


See also an article on the Britain Express history website (external website, the content of which we have not supplied).

Shane_Hearns_1994_A_Brief_History_and_Guide_to_All_Saints_Zj2qdKr, PDF

Download