It is known that a church has stood on this site for over 600 years, although its earlier dedication is unknown. The church fell seriously into disrepair after the Reformation and it was not until 1646 that Thomas Cropley, the then owner, had the courage during the Civil War to rebuild and rededicate the church to King Charles the royal martyr. It is one of only six in the country so dedicated.
The church is best known for its famous barrel organ, being the only one in regular use. It was made in 1810 and has three wooden barrels each of which contain 12 tunes.
The pulpit adds a further unique feature as it is a triple-decker, consisting of a pulpit, reading desk and clerk's pew. The congregation's seating is in plain box pews, which date back to the 18th century.
Shelland has a single bell, dating back to 1624 and founded by T. Cheese of Bury St Edmunds.
The old altar rail has close packed balasters to prevent dogs getting inside the chancel.
There is ample car parking on the green outside the church.
Families are always welcome to all of the services, but those more suited to their needs have been specially highlighted.
The building is the focus of our church community which gathers week by week to engage with God’s Mission of love to the world. Will you join us on our journey and perhaps make it yours?
We give shape to our work by following the 'Five Marks of Mission' adopted by the Anglican Church worldwide, and seek to show them both in our communal and individual lives. They are to:proclaim the good news of the Kingdom teach, baptize and nurture new believers respond to human need by loving service seek to transform unjust structures of society, challenging violence, injustice and oppression and working for peace and reconciliation strive to safeguard the integrity of creation and sustaining and renewing the life of the earth
We have strong links with Gt Finborough Church School catering for children from 4 to 11 from this parish. We welcome enquiries for Weddings and Baptisms which should be made to the Rector.
You will be most welcome to join us in our worship or at any of our events detailed in OHSMag or by contacting the Rector or Churchwarden who will be happy to help.
Rector: The Revd Chris Childs (01449 673280)
Associate Priest: The Revd Canon Pauline Higham (01449 771791)
Churchwarden: Lisa Hicks (01359 245013)
Churchwarden: Martin Jewers (07532 024655)