Trewen: the Church history

The church was built by the Normans on what was once a pagan site on a mound. It was dedicated by Bishop Bronscombe to St. Michael in 1269. Until the Reformation the parish came under the Priory of St. Stephens. The gift of the living passed after the Reformation to the Crown, until it was granted to South Petherwin and the University of Oxford in 1554.