This plan will be revisited and kept under review as circumstances change. (Updated on 06 November 2020)
I. The Aim of the Plan.
1. The aim of this plan is to ensure as far as possible the continued mission and ministry of the Parish of Woodford Green Saint Barnabas, and the maintenance of the critical ongoing business of the parish.
2. St Barnabas Woodford Green is an Anglo-Catholic Parish Church in the Deanery of Redbridge, Diocese of Chelmsford. It is a Society Parish and a member of the Forward in Faith under the pastoral care of the Bishop of Richborough, The Rt Revd Norman Banks SSC. Tel: 01727 836358, [email protected], Parkside House, Abbey Mill Lane, St Albans, AL3 4HE
3. In the event of vacancy or legal disputes on a deanery or diocesan level, the person to contact is the Bishop’s Representative who is Fr Martin Howse SSC, 07770928167, [email protected]
4. The Incumbent, or his church wardens, will provide a channel for regular communication, by email or phone, with the Rural / Area Dean and Archdeacon as requested, and in between members of the congregation.
5. The Incumbent is Fr William Obedoza SSC, 0203 659 4023, 07916281227, [email protected], Mailing address: St Barnabas Vicarage, 127 Snakes Lane East, Woodford Green, IG8 7HX
5. The Honorary Assistant Priest with Permission to Officiate is Fr Reg Bushau SSC, 07817374548, [email protected] who provides Mass cover on Mondays and for days as arranged with him.
7. In the event that the Church wardens get ill, the next point of contact is the Deputy Churchwarden William Layzell-Smith 02089894790, [email protected]
8. Taking care of the Finances are the Church Wardens and the Deputy Treasurer Diana Russell, 07966102004, [email protected] with the Parochial Church Council.
II. Due to the second national lock down, our church building which has reopened to the public on 4th July 2020 will be opened to the public only for individual prayers, observing the government guidelines on hygiene and social distancing.
1. The church is open to the public daily from 8:00 am to 10:00 am and from 6:00 pm to 7:00 pm. Daily Services are 8:00 am Morning Prayer, 8:45 am Holy Rosary, 9:30 am HOLY MASS, and 5:00 pm Evening Prayer . We will continue to stream them live daily on www.facebook.com/stbarnabaswg/ for the benefit of all who are shielding and cannot come to church.
2. Parish updates and news including devotional materials (such as Mass guides, Parish magazines) are sent via email to church members who are in the emailing list, and a few hard copies are sent to members who have no computers.
3. We will continue our church ministries. Pastoral follow-up are done by telephone, email or social media.
4. We will continue the Mercy Ministry Food bank for the needy and shopping assistance to the elderly who might need it.
5. Visiting the sick in hospital and care homes or hospices are still suspended. Prayers for the sick and the dying will be sent by email or by post.
6. Emergency baptisms will be done at home or hospital, though subject to strict hygienic precautions and physical distancing as far as possible.
7. Weddings are not permitted to take place except where one of those getting married is seriously ill and not expected to recover (‘deathbed wedding’). These weddings are limited to 6 people..
8. Funeral Services can take place in the church observing the government guidelines, and restricted to 30 people. Linked ceremonials such as stone settings and ash scatterings can also continue with up to 15 people in attendance. Anyone working is not counted in the 15 or 30. Social distancing should be maintained between people who do not live together or share a support bubble.