Church Christening (Baptism) ?
Ring Rev Jenny 01920 830035 or email [email protected]
Useful information on the CoE website https://www.churchofengland.org/life-events/christenings
Rev Jen 10 on Baptism (Christenings). I get lots of a calls or emails from parents or grandparents wanting a baby or child christened in church. I’ve listed 10 answers to the most frequently asked questions. Did you know?...
1. A Christening and a Baptism are two words for the same service.
2. A Baptism/Christening is joining the church family so it usually takes place during the Sunday morning service. You can invite as many people as you wish.
3. A Baptism/Christening is FREE – there is no church charge, just the usual collection/offertory in the service.
4. A Baptism/Christening is not just for babies – anyone, at any age, can be baptised.
5. A Baptism/Christening is the FIRST step on our life long journey of faith – people choose to believe for themselves when they come to be Confirmed.
6. You can only be baptised/christened ONCE.
7. You can have any number of Godparents – Godparents just have to have been baptised/christened themselves (Note: Godparents can be baptised/christened as part of the same service). If they haven’t been baptised/christened they can be Sponsers.
8. There are 3 parts to Baptism/Christening – first the sign of the cross in oil on the forehead, then pouring of water as you receive your name, finally being given a special lighted candle.
9. Parents (and Godparents if they would like) meet me in the rectory to go through service and do the admin – this usually takes an hour on a Saturday morning.
10. Each person being baptised/christened is given a special card and candle in the service and an anniversary card for the first 5 years after their Baptism/Christening.
Jesus said “Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these.” (Matthew 19:14)