About UsWelcome to Saint Martin's - the Parish Church of Barnehurst
Saint Martin's is a large red brick building, originally built in 1936 with a new sanctuary (completing the original plan) built in the late 60's/early 70's and further extension, providing extra space for meetings and other facilities in the early 90's. Despite the unprepossessing brick exterior the inside of the church is spacious and light with a woodblock floor and outstanding acoustics. We have metal framed, fabric covered chairs, seating up to 250, and choir stalls, clergy and readers' desks and seats made from light oak. Saint Martin's has a healthy and thriving Sunday School that is held on the 1st and 3rd Sundays of the month during the 10.30am Sunday service, which the children join for the last part. We have a small choir who enable us to enjoy a wide range of music, including our (relatively) new digital organ.
The Huxtable Hall, built in 1958, stands behind the church next to the 4th Barnehurst (St. Martin's) Scout group HQ, and is home to many societies, clubs and organisations. Barnehurst is proud of its numerous and well supported youth and community groups including Barnehurst Guide Association, running 2 Rainbow Units; 3 Brownie Packs; and a Guide Company, and 4th Barnehurst (St. Martin's) Scout Group, running 2 Beaver Colonies; 3 Cub Scout Packs and 2 Scout Troops. The Mothers' Union organises a varied programme throughout the year, while the weekly Coffee Shop and fortnightly Scrabble Club provide a focus of activity. Productions, including plays and pantomimes, from our own drama group, St. Martin's Players, are also performed on the stage in the Huxtable Hall usually in January/February, May and September. During the year we have a number of social events in addition to fund-raising events such as a Christmas Bazaar.
St Martin's is a relatively new church, just over 80 years young, but it does contain many friendly and welcoming people of all ages. So why not come along and see for yourself?