St. Mary in Castro, Dover Castle, Dover
- About Us
- Find Us
- Contact Us
- Services and Events
- Features and Facilities
- More Info
Seen by hundreds of thousands of visitors each year as they tour Dover Castle, St. Mary in Castro is, first and foremost, a working place of worship. Services are usually at 10am every Sunday, normally Holy Communion, with Sung Matins on the 2nd Sunday each month. (ring 01304 202979 or see ‘Services’ and ‘Calendar of Events’ for current details)
Sunday Services as normal at 10am,
August 21st-Trinity 13 Sung Eucharist (Area Dean preaching)
28th-Trinity 14 Sung Eucharist (Limited parking on Palace Green due to English Heritage event)
September 4th-Trinity 15 Sung Eucharist / Merchant Navy Day
11am 11th-Trinity 16 Sung Eucharist PATRONAL FESTIVAL note 11am
18th - Battle of Britain Service - Morning Prayer
25th-Trinity 18 Sung Eucharist
October 2nd- Trinity 19 Sung Eucharist
9th- Trinity 20 Matins
11am 16th-Trinity 16 Sung Eucharist HARVEST FESTIVAL note 11am
23rd - Last in Trinity Sung Eucharist (Archdeacon preaching)
30th- All Saints
Please note - major repair works have started in and around the church,
services continue as normal but access to parts of the church may be limited during the week
some of the pews and other furniture have been moved in preparation
Once the local Garrison church, it is now an Extra-parochial Church in Canterbury Diocese, but it still keeps a miltary ethos.
All services are open to everyone, if attending worship, an entry ticket from English Heritage is not required.
The church is inside the Castle grounds and, from its Saxon beginnings, has served garrisons within the castle and in the surrounding area.
Sited on the White Cliffs of Dover with a 360 degree panorama the age of the church is uncertain but the current building dates from 800 to 1000AD (late Saxon ). It is likely that it is on the site of earlier Roman foundations, either a place of worship or a building linked to the Roman lighthouse, Pharos, which is by the West door. Roman building materials, especially tiles, were re-used by the Saxons in walls and arches.
At the end of the seventeenth century, church attendance dropped, the church fell into ruins. It was later used as a fives court, a coal store and rubbish dump. In 1862 the church was restored by George Gilbert Scott and the distinctive mosaic work and other cosmetic additions were added by William Butterfield in 1889/90.
The church played a major part during the two world wars as a place of worship and contemplation for those stationed in the castle, or those heading overseas. During the spring and summer of 1940 services continued despite almost constant air-raids and anti-aircraft fire
You are seeing this message instead because your browser has not loaded the program code to produce the map.
This could be for a variety of reasons, including:
- Regular Services
The current editor is: Tom Russell