We want not only to tell you a little bit of the history of our beautiful church but also to pay tribute to the many people who have formed part of its story over the generations. Some we remember fondly as they have not long left us, others longer gone but their names linger on our walls. A vast majority, however, are nameless but no less important.
We are a grade II* listed building. Two carved heads, thought to be St Mary and St John, possibly re-used, are set in the outside of the tower.
Our stained glass window was donated in 1907 and tells the story of St Christopher. There is also a carving of St Christopher on one of the pew ends. These two, plus the lectern were given by Christopher Welch - to find more about him, please click here
There are wall memorials to the Guyon family who were Rectors in Lamyatt: Henry Coppleston Guyon from 1881 to 1914 and C L Guyon from 1841-1881. Other names mentioned around the church are Edwin Ogden (Rector 1935-1955), Francis Hunt (made the block under the cross on the altar), James and Elizabeth Andrews (1809), Rev George Barkley Raikes (the bell chimes were installed in his memory), Audrey Brunt (candlestick given in her memory in 2001), William Horsington, Kathy and Dim (Dimmock) (the gate lantern was given in their memory). There is also a music examination pass certificate from 1933 for Evelyn G Shepherd (Grace) - she played our organ week in, week out for years at our services and for villagers weddings and funerals until she was 90 years old!
These are just a few who have played a part in the life of our church. Click on the download button below and you can read recollections from Freda Gibbons, who has lived in the village nearly all her life and who has been on our PCC for 60 years!
To find an article about our former village school, please click here
To find more about the history of the village, please click here