St. Thomas is the parish church of Heathery Cleugh Parish, United Benefice of Upper Weardale. The church is located in the centre of the village of Cowshill, having been rebuilt there in 1912 after an encroaching quarry forced abandonment of the nearby original site. While most rural parishes are named after the village where the parish church is located, there is no village of Heathery Cleugh, the name instead being that of a ravine and burn passing under the roadway a half mile northwest of the church.
The church is open most days, and visitors to the area are cordially invited to stop in to visit. Copies of the church registers are available to look through, and the simple but aesthetic interior provides a welcome place for some quiet reflection. The Find Us tab at right gives info for obtaining a key if the church is locked.