We were unable to provide opening hours. Please contact the Church for more information
Bishop Monkton became a parish in its own right in 1865 having previously been part of the old Parish of Ripon and the village continued to flourish. A little more than 50 years after the 1822 chapel was built,plans were made to demolish it and replace it with a substantial new church. G. Hodgson Fowler was engaged to draw up plans for a church with both steeple and porch in the early English style using limestone.
The current church consists of chancel, nave, organ chamber, two vestries and a 50 ft western tower. In June 1879 it was consecrated by Dr R Bickersteth, the then Bishop of Ripon. It was dedicated to St John Baptist. It is now a Grade II listed building.
The church is now part of the Benefice of Ripon Cathedral but still remains a parish in its own right. It follows that the Dean of Ripon is now the Vicar of the Parish but we have a House for Duty priest looking after the daily needs of the church.
St Johns Road, Bishop Monkton
If you'd prefer to navigate using Google Maps please use the button below