St James Church, Barton under Needwood is a stunning Grade II* listed building nestled in the heart of the picturesque village of Barton under Needwood. As part of the Church of England, with a local presence in every place, we're here to welcome you and to pray for God's blessing on your new life together. It would be a pleasure to welcome you and your families to our church for this special event in your lives. 

A church weddings is not as expensive as couples often think it is. We will share with you any extra charges such as for an organist to play music or a verger to clean and prepare the church - with many of the additional charges being optional depending on what you want for your wedding.
The basic cost of the marriage service is just over £500 (2023 prices) and should be the same in every Church of England church. You can see a full table of our fees below. 

To book a wedding or to discuss the possibility of marrying at St James', complete the online wedding enquiry form. We'll then contact you to talk things through to see how we can help or feel free to contact us.  

Excited but not sure where to start? The Church of England offers guidance for couples on planning for the wedding service. The vicar taking your service will discuss this with you both to ensure that your day is unique and special to you both. 

What documents will I need to bring? We are required to undertake ID checks in advance of a couple giving notice of marriage (usually through the calling of banns). Click here for details of documents that we'll need to see in advance of your wedding. If you don't have a valid UK passport, or your passport is due to expire before the wedding, please let us know at the earliest opportunity. 

I've been divorced. Can I still get married at St James' Church? Yes, in principle, after a discussion with the vicar. You will need to present the Decree Absolute in addition to your other ID as notified above. The Decree Absolute should normally already have been issued before you approach us. 

Do I need to approach Registration Services at the Council? Normally this is not necessary as usually the legal preliminary to the marriage is the calling of banns in church (giving notice of your intent to marry each other). You will need to approach Registration Services a couple of weeks after the marriage ceremony to collect your copy marriage certificate (you make payment for this separately to the County Council). 

What about witnesses? We recommend that the two witnessed to the marriage be adults who are UK Nationals - they need to be able to understand the service and sign the legal document. 

I want to change my name at the wedding. What do I need to do? We're not in a position to offer legal advice but see here (not an official Government site). Note that you can apply for a new passport in your new name up to three months before the wedding - see here for more information.

If you have any other questions - please do contact us

2023_Parish_Fees_Table, DOCX