Church of England Diocese of Southwark Southwark, St. George the Martyr with St. Alphege and St. Jude

About the church

Built: 1735
Architect: John Price
Listing: grade 2*

St George's was designed by John Price in 1735 and is a brick church of classical design with Portland stone pediments, string courses and dressings. The church is listed Grade 2* and is considered to be of national historic importance. The interior was altered by William Hedger in 1808. The present ornate ceiling was designed by Basil Champneys in 1897 and restored by Thomas Ford in 1951 after war damage.