There has been a church of St. Margaret's in the village since 1909, but having outgrown the original one, we moved into a new church in 1996. This was built in a partnership with Hampshire Education Authority, so that the facilities could be shared with South Wonston School and used throughout the week. We also have a small chapel.
Having been founded as part of the parish of Wonston, we became a parish in our own right on 1st January 2007.The parishes of South Wonston, Barton Stacey and Bullington form the Lower Dever Benefice, part of the Dever Group Ministry in the Diocese of Winchester.
Who was St. Margaret?
There are several saints called Margaret and we have no record of which particular one was chosen as our patron saint or why! However, for many years we have regarded ‘our’ Margaret as being St Margaret of Antioch, a virgin martyr who lived in the 4th century, in the reign of Diocletian, and was the daughter of a pagan priest.
The feast day of St. Margaret of Antioch is on July 20th, so we celebrate our patronal festival on the nearest Sunday to that date.
The Church semi-circular interior is welcoming, spacious, light and airy with a peaceful, respectful ambience enabling reflective worship and prayer. The altar dressings and wall hangings around the church were lovingly made by members of the congregation.
Access is wheelchair friendly and the amplified sound system includes a hearing aid induction loop. A cloakroom and toilet facilities are close by. A variety of seating for 120 people.
The separate Chapel off the church seats 12 people.
When not configured for a church service the space works well as a function room