Getting Married

Congratulations  - we are delighted that you are considering a church wedding and will do everything we can to make it a joyful and memorable occasion.

St. Margaret’s is a great venue for a wedding because there is ample car parking, toilets and good disabled access.  The shape of the church also means that the congregation has a much better view of what is going on.

A lot of very helpful information is available from the Church of England website at including suggestions for music and readings. This page tries to answer some of the other questions you may have.

Where can we get married?

Everyone living in a Church of England parish has the right to be married in church, whether or not they are regular churchgoers. You don’t even have to have been baptised. You may get married at St. Margaret’s if you have a connection with the parish - please see for more details.

Who will take the service?

Normally the service will be taken by the priest responsible for the church in which the marriage takes place. We will be happy to discuss requirements if, for example, you have a particular reason for wanting someone else to take part in the service.

What if one of us is divorced?

The Church of England believes that marriage is for life but we recognise that sadly, some marriages do fail. In some circumstances it is now possible to be re-married in church but please speak to the parish priest, who will be able to advise you on your own case. Even if it is not possible to have a wedding in church, you may still like to have a service of prayer and dedication after a civil ceremony.

Can we renew our vows in church?

Many people like to have a special service of renewal, perhaps to mark a special anniversary. Please to speak to the clergy, who can advise you about planning this sort of occasion.

How much does it cost?

The Church of England has a set table of fees for all such services. The clergy will be able to advise you how much it will cost.

Can we take photos?

Yes, as long as no flash photography is used and the presence of the photographer does not intrude on the service. If you wish to have the service recorded on video camera, copyright rules apply so an additional performance fee is payable to the organist and you will need to obtain a licence, which is available online. The clergy can advise you further.

What happens next?

If you would like to make contact in order to talk about arranging a church wedding service, please email the Dever Benefice Parish Co-ordinator Clare Fancourt at [email protected]