Historical Information About Our ChurchBuilt: 1827 - 32
Architect: Lewis Vulliamy
Listing: grade 2*
The church was built between 1827 and 1832, and the architect was Lewis Vulliamy. It is understood that the original church had a plain ceiling with pillars of brick and plaster and an organ gallery at the west end. There was no chancel.
Extensive alterations were carried out by Edwin Nash between 1858 and 1874: the chancel, north transept and vestries were added, the present nave arcade erected to a greater height and all the main roof structures rebuilt. The gallery was taken down. There is much fine stained glass in the church, including the west window by Clayton and Bell, and east windows (1953) by Francis Spear. The elaborate reredos, erected between 1901 and 1910, is by Henry Wilson.
There is an extensive crypt which was adapted by Eric Howard during the 1980s for club purposes.
The church is the subject of a painting by Camille Pissarro in the National Gallery.