St Mary’s church was built in 1851 by John Dobson of Leeds. It has a neo-Gothic Tower and steeply roofed nave.
The church was extensively reordered 2003-04, this work included the construction of a new lobby with disabled toilet, store room fitted out with new PA system, kitchen, including refurbishment to the church meeting room, and a screened off store area at the tower.
Liturgical reordering took place at the same time. This involved removal of the pews and replacement with upholstered chairs. The heating system was changed to under floor heating and the floors levelled and carpeted to provide easy access for wheelchair users.
The high altar was replaced and moved forward from the sanctuary to the chancel.
The work was consecrated on 30th May 2004.
The Church is a Grade II listed building, and was certified February 1984.
Mary Taylor, friend of Charlotte Bronte, is buried in the church yard.